Biryani-KoftaCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
½ kg basmati rice
50-75 grm. Yogurt
1 tsp. salt (according to taste)
1 small onion
12-16 green cardamom (Chhoti Ilaichi)
1½ to 2 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
16-20 cloves (Laung)
1/3 cup oil, preferably ghee
1-1 ½ tbs. Kewra
½ tsp. yellow food colour
½ tsp. sugar
1 pinch saffron (Zafran)
½ tbs. lemon juice
250 gm. finely minced mutton or beef
1 tsp. ginger (Adrak) paste
1-2 green chilies coarsely chopped
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
Handful fresh coriander (Dhaniya) leaves
½ tsp. ground garam masala
1 slice of bread soaked and squeezed to remove water
1 tsp. salt
- To make the meatballs:
- Put the minced meat and all its spices to a grinder and grind well till all he ingredients are chopped well.
- Form into small meatballs and keep aside.
- In another pot heat the oil and sauté the onion till it starts to turn brown.
- Add all the spices along with a little water to prevent it from burning. Stir well. When the water has dried Add ½ cup of water and add the meatballs carefully to it. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on medium flame to cook the meatballs.
- Simultaneously soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Boil the rice with 1 tbs. of salt and ½ tbs. of lemon juice till it is ¾ cooked. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the meat balls combo so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping rice layer at the bottom and top.
- Sprinkle on it a solution of Kewra, yellow food colour, 1 tsp. of sugar and a pinch of Saffron (Zafran) soaked in a tbs. of milk or water.
- Keep it covered and leave on a low flame for about 10 minutes keeping the pot tightly closed to steam cook (dum).
- When the rice is done, the biryani is ready.
- Serve with Achaar or Raita.