Chana dal pulao
1 cup whole Chana (white, black or green)
1 cup rice soaked for about 30 minutes
5 tbs. oil
1 medium sized onion-sliced
1 tbs. ginger (Adrak) paste
1 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
1 tsp. whole cumin seeds (Zeera)
6 black pepper (Kali Mirch).
6 cloves (Laung)
1 black cardamom (Bari Ilaichi)
½ inch piece of cinnamon (Dalchini)
1 tsp. salt (adjust to taste
- Add about 3 cups of water to chana and boil till the chana becomes tender but does not break apart. Drain and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Sauté till it starts to turn brown.
- Add the ginger (Adrak), garlic (Lehsan), cumin seeds (Zeera)), black peppercorn. (Kali Mirch), clove (Laung), ilaichi, cinnamon and salt along with ½ cup of water. Mix well and allow the water to dry. Add the chana and presoaked rice.
- Add water so that it reaches about a 1½ cm above the level of the rice and chana.
- Cover and cook till water dries and the rice and chana are tender.
- Reduce heat to the minimum, cook in their own steam (dum) for another 5 minutes and remove.
- Serve with garlic chutney or achaar.