Khatti DaalCourse: Entrees, Uncategorized
1 cup split Moong Daal or Masoor Daal(Dhuli)
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Chili (Lal Mirch) powder
¼ teaspoon Turmeric (Haldi) powder
2 tablespoon Tamarind (Imli) water or Lemon Juice (more if you like it really sour)
1 small tomato–chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (Dhaniya) leaves
3 whole dried red chilies
¼ tsp cumin seeds (Zeera)
1 clove of garlic (Lehsan) sliced
4-5 curry leaves (Karhi Patta) (optional)
3-4 tbs. oil for tempering (Baghar)
- Wash the daal well and soak for at least 15 minutes.
- In a pot add the daal and a glass of water. Add the Salt, Chili powder, Turmeric (Haldi) and leave on very low heat to cook.
- When the daal has softened to a paste, add the chopped Tomatoes and fresh Coriander (Dhaniya) leaves and lemon juice or Tamarind (Imli) water.
- Cook till it attains medium consistency (is neither pasty nor very fluid). Consistency of the dal can be altered according to taste.
- In a frying pan heat the oil along with the Garlic (Lehsan) and whole red chili and curry leaves.
- When the Garlic (Lehsan) slices turn light brown add cumin seeds (Zeera) for this to be brown.
- Put the hot oil (Baghar) to the hot dal and cover immediately.
- Serve with plain boiled rice.